Friday 18 October 2013

Green





I don’t think I am a particularly “Green person”, I think I am  “greener” than the average Chilean person, but not as Eco- friendly as I could be.
This idea of being “green” is so relative. I think it is very difficult to be all “planet friendly” when the whole system invites you to buy and dispose.  I love visiting new places, and basically this is what I spend most of my savings on. Do I pay to try to reduce my carbon footprint? So far, not a bean L Shame on me!!! 

On the upside, I try to use the bike as often as possible. I also take bottles and cartons of milk to the supermarket as often as possible. But I normally go by car!!! I separate the rubbish and feed my worms with the degradable stuff. The other thing I do is I put a bottle in my toilet cistern so I use less water when I flush the loo.  When I go to the supermarket or the vegetable market I take my own bags. I make my own washing detergent which pollutes the water and my skin a lot less than Ariel or any of those. I make my shampoo and sometimes soap but it is not easy to find the time. I reuse and recycle as much as I remember. I have learnt from lovely people wanting to share and also out of my own curiosity, I suppose.
There is no way for things to improve in this aspect without education. I think the boroughs i.e. (Estación central, Recoleta, Ñuñoa, etc.) and the national  School programmes need to include the topics of recycling reusing and reducing so people become aware. One needs to do these things at home for children to become aware. I would like to join an organization or create an NGO one day.

What about you?

- Where do people learn about enviromentally friendly practices?
- Have you incorporated recycling into your habits? Describe
- Do you use a bike or your legs instead of a car?
- Have you joined or supported any eco-organisations? Why/Why not?
- What else have you done /would you like to do?
- What have you done to reduce your carbon footprint? 
- What's missing in our society/Santiago regarding this issue?

Number of words: 240

Don't forget to make comments on at least 3 of your classmates posts and or mine if you like. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion, education is very important to raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Definitely is complicated to be a green person in this system. But I hope be supreme the education and care of our environment.

    Regards teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss I very agree with you. And I'm very amaze of that you make the shampoo and the soap. I too like this things in my house :)

    A huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make my own soap too. Even I started a little bussiness to sold it, but you are rigth, take too much time. :c

    ReplyDelete